Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Of pearls and people

I remember an essay I had to write. We had to write about ourselves. Somehow it just popped up in my mind. I got a good score and my essay book took trips around the class, yet I wonder how much of that is still true? Is my self esteem still so low?

The walls are true though. Everyone has their walls and masks. No matter how much we want to we will act a certain way in front of somebody, behave in a certain way, because that is what we were taught. We can't judge people by how they look, sometimes how they behave too. Someone you thought was quiet or didn't notice because they don't intrude and therefore fade into the background, could perhaps be the one who never stops talking. I always think of quiet people as clams, their silent walls filter out those who wouldn't even bother to try to see pass everything and see the pearl within. So we tend to miss. Treasures of people, undiscovered because we judge by looks, by status, anything! You never know what could be uncovered. There are some that aren't nice so, yeah, they don't have friends. Yet I'm pretty sure God knows their inner thoughts, their wants, the real them and there must be something pretty, some nugget of beauty, a pearl whose outer layers are tarnished by the things that have accumulated through the years.

Can't we give people a chance? The quiet, the meek, the shy, the loud mouth, those that don't seem so likeable to you. Don't the clams deserve a second glance? Please, or you will miss those treasures. They're waiting for you to see pass the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment