Thursday, August 26, 2010

Does anyone like musicals?

Or to be more specific, does anyone like "The Fiddler on the Roof"? I rewatched the film today and it surprised me how there were things I didn't notice before. Details like expressions, scenery, songs I didn't like before etc. Now that I'm older, I appreciate Act II better.

"Far from the home I love", "Do you love me", "Chava sequence" and "Anatevka" really stood out for me this time. In fact, I've been rewatching the "Chava sequence" on Youtube instead of searching for K-pop. This act is so much more serious and with a bit more understanding brought by age plus a lot more knowledge on history than I had before, I've come to like this part.

"Chava sequence" or "Chava Ballet" is more dance than song but Topol's face as he sung it just......well, it reduced me to a blubbering mess. He was singing of how he (Tevye) didn't understand the world anymore, how things have changed. Chava started dancing with her mother in the background, then with her sisters. There they were 3 girls playing and dancing around, 3 carefree children. Slowly, they went off hand in hand with their loves, Tzeitel with Motel, Hodel with Perchik. Of course the clincher comes next. Fyedka comes for Chava and as she hesitates between the Fiddler (tradition, the life she's known) and Fyedka (love, an uncertain future) I was just so......heartbroken. And when she chooses Fyedka, slowly the scene changes to Tevye's face as he contemplates this. The pain and hurt in his face was just so........ I don't know what to say. I started sobbing there and I had to grab a lot of tissues during the dialogue bits where Chava asks Tevye to accept her marriage (she married Fyedka secretly that morning) and Tevye is debating it in a monologue. He finally decides that he can't accept this, that it would be tantamount to betraying his faith, his people, and walks away, Chava crying out to him in the background.

I can sort of understand that. One of the first things my mother told me was not to marry outside my religion. They'd act like Tevye had or perhaps they'd react like Golde, a bit more willing to forgive. I'd make them cry terribly of this I'm certain. The pain on Tevye's face, I don't think I'd be able to bear it if I caused them to look like that. And my dad.............

On the other hand, I think my grandparent's were rather outrage when my parents became Christian. My maternal grandparents became Christians eventually, my paternal side is still staunchly Buddhist. No disowning happened.

What should the stance be on this? Follow your heart or traditions? I guess it depends on the situation. I support Chava's decision by the way yet sympathise with Tevye. So, I think my answer is "I don't know".

No comments:

Post a Comment