Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Three cheers for Hetalia!

I'm so happy that I couldn't resist writing! Ah, Hetalia: Paint It White was shown just now at around 9am! Italy!!!!!!!!!

If you know Hetalia, you'd know it is about countries personified as their national stereotypes. Granted, it might offend people (which is why we didn't get to see S. Korea in all his awesomeness) but if your sense of humour is anything like mine, you'll like it. The plot isn't much, faceless aliens invade our world and steal the colours on Earth. Yeah, sounds like one of America's B-grade movies gone wrong. Personally, I think it should be called Hetalia: Break The Fourth Wall To Smithereens, because really, stealing colours and the faces of people?

Interspersed with the alien invasion plot are clips from the series proper and I loved those the most! A pity that they didn't translate the notes about the intended France-UK union due to the Suez crisis. It'd explain why France was forcing Britain to marry him...... and teach Malaysian's more world history than their textbooks. I'll add it here, because I can.

In September 1956, during the Suez Crisis due to a common foe an Anglo-French Task Force was created. French Prime Minister Guy Mollet proposed a union between the United Kingdom and the French Union with Elizabeth II as head of state and a common citizenship. As an alternative, Mollet proposed that France join the British Commonwealth of Nations. British Prime Minister Anthony Eden rejected both proposals and France went on to join the Treaty of Rome, which established the European Economic Community and strengthened the Franco-German cooperation.

The only "world" history we learn is about the rise of Islamic empires. Not that I have anything against that, the Ottoman Empire is just AWESOME! But why in the world would I want to know about the spread of Islam in Malaysia? 

I think the Malay dub voices were ok. Which came as a surprise to me as I usually don't like (read: absolutely hate) dub voices. The only ones I didn't like were Liechtenstein, Prussia, Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. Thankfully, they were only side characters. I think the rest of the cast did decent jobs, though I must state my love for America, England, France, Hungary, Austria and Canada's voice actor, especially Canada! But then again, I'm biased.

Now for the screw ups, China's voice actor is good except that he got a female voice actor. Yeah, She's a Man in Japan, thank you tvtropes. And Hungary got Austria's name wrong. She called him Australia *facepalm. Though I'm pretty sure there was a strip about people getting Austria's name wrong somewhere. Um..... look through here? What surprises me is that Germany got it correct. Wasn't Hungary considered married to Austria in the time of the Austro-Hungarian Empire? Its rather strange if your ex-wife can't get your name right.

Despite all that, I am still incredibly happy!!!! Hetalia on national television, yeah!!!!!!!! Oh, has anyone seen the character design for the Principality of Wy? She's just so adorable!!! And I like her going all huffy at Sealand, just because she's recognized. Still, whysoadorableWyandSeborga~ <3 Hetalia will make me a history nerd, its evil in that way.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. Bloody hell.
    Erm, what did I wanted to say? Uhh... yeah.
    1. Wy is a-adorable. WHY THOSE EYEBROWS WHY I DON'T GET IT. SEALAND IS OBNOXIOUS.
    2. I watched Hetalia: Paint It White and the Macross Frontier movie simultaneously. The latter rocks way more than Hetalia. Hn. Worth the few GB it occupies on my hard disk. Want it?
    3. China should stop wearing red. Yeah.
    4. If only they'd air Hetalia at schools. OH YEAH CHECK OUT THE STAR -LETTERS SECTION- TODAY. IT'S AWESOME I DON'T EVEN-
    5. Will stop so I can go watch the ending of Hakuouki. Hijikata died. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are better BM dubs, in Disney cartoons I suppose. Watch Little Einsteins every Tuesday night, 7pm on TV2. Sedapnyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrr....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha... I think I'm a bit too old to be watching little Einsteins. And I have tuition at that time. Haiz.... Malaysia, where students go to tuition for everything. I'm still holding out for better BM dubs or at least for voice actresses to master the "cute" character voice. High pitch doesn't go well with BM, believe me I tried. Still, when I can ponteng, I'll make sure to watch Little Einsteins.

    ReplyDelete